Some History

John Enlger commissioned Micheal Baumert Sr. to build The Temple House in 1871. The unique round-topped gothic windows were inspired by the clock tower design of the original Nauvoo Temple. The Temple House was initially used as a hotel which offered food, lodging, and a stable to its guests. It also served as an office building for many businesses, including the Nauvoo Independent newspaper. Part of the building was made available to traveling salesmen to show their goods and one room was even used as a roller skating rink. Later, Micheal Baumert Jr. purchased the building and portions of it were converted into apartments. Mr. Baumert and his wife, Estella Clark Baumert, lived in one of the apartments in the rear. Estella's father was one of the chief stonecutters on the Nauvoo Temple and a Mormon Pioneer.

Over the years much of The Temple House was left in disrepair. However, the ceilings in the storefronts at the North of the building have been restored to their original design. Eight of the rooms/apartments have been made ready for visitors. Other renovations have commenced in an effort to make this wonderful structure accessible once more to weary travelers. The rooms on the West side of the grand hallway offer magnificent views of the reconstructed Nauvoo Temple and the mighty Mississippi River. A stay at The Temple House is sure to create lasting memories.


OLD NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS ABOUT THE TEMPLE HOUSE

1980's NEWSPAPER

LEGACY MOVIE SET BUILDINGS

CASE STUDY FOR THE UPSTAIRS DOWNTOWN CONFERENCE

ORIGINAL 2 STORY TEMPLE HOUSE

THANK YOU


In July of 1983 four deeds were recorded in Carthage which cleared and transferred title in the Temple House to Robert Cook. Jerry McLoud was instrumental in this process. In the early days of the Temple House, Marvin Crozier set the theme for the historic restoration of the building.

In recent years many people have been a part of the restoration, including Michele Barnhart, Diana Ludy, and most importantly Caleb and Wendy Prusso. The encouragement and advice of Russell Schafroth and Greg Bragg have been instrumental in taking on such a large project.



The Temple House , 1240 Mulholland Street, P. O. Box 54, Nauvoo, IL  62354  tel.   (800) 860-1215 © 2005 All rights reserved